At Broken River we believe that everyone has a responsibility to look after the environment for future generations to enjoy. We are fortunate to be situated in a wonderful alpine environment and make every effort not to take this for granted. We also do our best to limit our impact, carbon output and use of resources.
We strive to minimise our environmental impact by:
- powering our rope tows, tramway and lodges with grid-supplied electricity.
- choosing an electricity supplier that uses renewable hydro and wind sources of electricity.
- regularly removing introduced plant pests from our concession area.
- using low-energy equipment where possible.
- running and maintaining our ski area in a low-impact manner.
- using Mother Nature for snow making.
- reducing, reusing and recycling where possible.
- promoting carpooling to Broken River through Snowpool.
- encouraging people to reduce their carbon footprint by staying overnight.
- making members and visitors respect and understanding of the fragility of our alpine environment.
- working with the Kea Trust to monitor the endemic Kea populations.
- complying with relevant environmental legislation and regulations.
We ask that all visitors to our ski area and concession area treat the environment with respect and keep their impacts to a minimum. Visitors and groups using Allan's Basin should please read our Visitor's Code.